Saturday, May 18, 2013

First Day in Kasei


The temperature in my room and rooster crowing outside my window this morning when I woke up quickly helped me to remember where I was, luckily for me I don’t mind the heat, my Dad however who always turns the thermostat downs to 60 may not have grown accustomed to Kasei so quickly J. We drove to Kasei, the village where we will be staying and where the hospital is, yesterday from Accra after our plane got in at 5 AM. Needless to say me and Audrey got to spend a couple more hours than expected in London thanks to a storm in Dallas but fortunately I am an expert at exchanging currency and using international pay phones, J not exactly but I am better at it now than I was before. It was an amazing feeling to finally land in Accra and to immediately see Dr. John and a sign with our names on it. After traveling for almost two days I’m sure that it was obvious by our appearance we could use some sleep and a shower but after arriving at the eye clinic in Accra and being welcomed right into their prayer/bible study/worship I was reminded of how truly blessed I am to be here and to be surrounded by the presence and people of God. It is an incredible thing to realize how close God is even in Ghana where I feel like I am a million miles away from home. The seven hour journey driving across Ghana to get to our village was an amazing experience in itself. I feel so grateful for every single moment I have gotten to spend seeing and experiencing this country and it’s people for myself. I can’t say that we often have people selling mangos and coconuts along the roads in South Dakota. Our first few days in Kasei have not been without their fair share of excitement, seeing as how my mom hates bats even when we see them in the zoo I am sure she would not have appreciated over twenty of them flying from tree to tree along the road in the hospital compound where our house is. She probably also would have screamed when a little boy killed one with his sling shot and brought it over to us, I have to admit I found it a little hard not to do the same, luckily for me Audrey was very brave and even curious about the bat and in the process we managed to make some new friends. We are so very thankful for everyone back home that was praying for our safe travel and we are grateful for the people here who have welcomed us into their homes and lives. While we are slightly unsure of ourselves in this new place and appreciate the many prayers that we know will be surrounding us as we begin working in the hospital next week, we do not doubt that God has a plan for us this summer. His glory and love are great enough to overcome any flaws we have or mistakes we may make as we try our best to walk in His ways and serve those we get to know this summer. Ephesians 3:14-20

1 comment:

  1. so glad you and Audrey made it safely :) I'll be praying!

    ReplyDelete